Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chapter 5: Teaching to the Individual, Working with the Group

"Or without intending it, teachers might be sending messages that students' questions are not opportunities foe learning but rather annoying interruptions to the business of the class"(88) Not only is this awful, but it is awfully common. When I was doing the observation part of practicum I was in with mostly freshmen and sophomores and inquired many things. I would try to go out of my way to answer the questions because as a teacher I thought that was our job. The book gives a great example of how a student asked a question about a book they read outside of class and how it tied into what they were covering in class, the teacher abruptly answered back and seemingly did not care, this lead to the student placing his head back down on his desk. WOW! That is so sad, that a teacher would find a question annoying? Why are you a teacher then??? I saw this a lot at Mt. Blue in some of the applied classes because my mentor felt that they did not care or did not have the capacity to care so their questions were pointless. SOO BAD

No comments:

Post a Comment