Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chapter 2: Respect, Liking, Trust, and Fairness

On page 22 in chapter 2 the part that jumped out at me was "If teachers don't like students, the students can also tell, and it affects their learning". It is going to be difficult for a teacher to like all the students that they have in their classes, but a teacher is in the wrong for letting that show in front of other students or through grades. One example in the book is "My friend said one little thing, and now that's the end of her. The teacher wrote her off, so she has a 65 now and I have a 90 and we have done nothing different"(22).
I have seen this a lot in my high school. There were many teachers that had children going to the same school and if their kids did not like someone or if it was a past boyfriend or girlfriend it would reflect in their grades. I am embarrassed for these teachers and the unprofessional approach they took to teaching. This is going to greatly impact my teaching because I will always try to remember that students are KIDS and do not always make the right choices but they should not be punished on their homework or class participation if it does not involve that. Teachers are teaching high school not attending it!


No comments:

Post a Comment