Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chapter 1: Knowing Students Well

The part of this chapter that JUMPED out at me was the "Who are you? A Questionnaire for Students on the First Day of School" starting on page 9. The author is focusing on the confidentiality that needs to happen between students and teachers, unless a student is going to harm themselves or others. Showing the questionnaire as it would look for students is a great tool that we can all use in the future! By having this information the teacher is able to deal with different situations with out involving more people then need be.
The reason that I chose this part of the chapter was for a special reason. I had to fill things like this out all the time and it is really nothing new to see this as an approach for teachers. What is so different about this questionnaire is the question on the first page (9) "Who would you like me to tell when you do something especially well?" This jumped out at me because rather then starting the year off with a negative question such as "disciplinary contact number" the author shows the students the excitement and trust in their upcoming year and assignments! This is such an awesome idea!! If I were a student taking this quiz I would feel very conformable around the new teacher! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment